After six months of hard work, PhotoDemon 6.4 is officially ready for download. You can grab it from the download page, or right here:
Functionally, this release is very similar to the 6.4 betas made available over the past month. Many thanks to the more than 1,000 individuals who downloaded the beta - your suggestions and comments were invaluable. Thank you also to PhotoDemon’s incredibly great translators, coders, and other contributors, without whom continued development would not be possible.
For those upgrading directly from version 6.2, you’re going to find a lot of improvements! You can find a full write-up (with images) here, but for those in a hurry, here is an abbreviated list of what’s available in version 6.4.
- LAYERS! PhotoDemon now provides comprehensive layer support, including variable opacity, custom blendmodes, on-canvas moving and resizing, and editing without flattening.
- New non-destructive edit options, including resizing, exposure, clarity, vibrance, temperature, and more.
- Numerous interface improvements, including new slider, radio button, and check box controls created specifically for PhotoDemon.
- Many new tools, including straighten, auto-correction, auto-enhancement, split-toning, HDR, colored pencils, glass tiles, stained glass, fragment, Kuwahara filtering, lens flare, sunshine, noise removal (bilateral smoothing), and more.
- Many improvements to existing tools, including overhauled Curve and Level dialogs, tonal range support when adjusting color balance, totally rewritten comic book, relief, emboss/engrave, edge enhance, find edges, rainbow, fog, and ignite filters, and many smaller tweaks and improvements.
- New Undo History browser
- Improved performance program-wide, including new Performance options, and significant performance improvements when language translations are active
- Much better support for non-English locales, including many bug-fixes for locales that use “,” as a decimal separator
- Improved drag/drop support, including improved support for dragging images from web browsers
- Improved status bar, including a clickable “resize image” button and “fit image on-screen” button
- New Malay language support (machine translation only, improvements welcome!)
- New Swedish language support (machine translation only, improvements welcome!)
- Improved support for using arrow keys to modify various settings
- New asynchronous image metadata processing. Images with extensive metadata now load (and save) much faster than before.
- Reduced program startup time, and greatly reduced shutdown time when many images are loaded
- Improved mousewheel zoom, with zoom now preserving cursor location, instead of defaulting to position (0, 0)
- Improvements to Content-Aware resizing, including faster performance, symmetrical seam removal, and ESC-to-cancel functionality
- Improved image load time, especially for large images and/or complex image formats
For a full list of this version’s bug-fixes, performance improvements, and tool enhancements, please visit PhotoDemon’s commit log.
- Some language files are still being reviewed by PhotoDemon’s excellent translators. In the meantime, machine translations have been provided, but in the coming weeks, a 6.4.1 release will be made available with improved language files.
Thank you again to everyone who helped with 6.4’s development, testing, translation and release. As PhotoDemon grows ever more complex, I rely more and more on outsiders to let me know about possible bugs and improvements.
The program would be significantly less interesting if I were forced to do everything alone, so thank you again to everyone who pitched in on this release!
I hope you enjoy version 6.4. If you have any feedback, please send me a message. I’d love to hear from you.